Frank The Tank is decommissioned for now
The Oakland A’s announced Friday that they’ve activated designated hitter Mitch Moreland from the injured list. We never did find out exactly why he was on the IL, nor which IL he was on, but he’s not on it anymore and is now back in action.
In a corresponding move, fellow DH Frank Schwindel was designated for assignment. He had already been optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas on Monday during the All-Star break, but now he’s been removed from the 40-man roster as well. Moreland had been temporarily removed from the 40-man during his absence, so he needed a new spot upon his return and he got Schwindel’s.
In eight games, the right-handed Schwindel chipped in a couple times at the plate, most memorably with his first career MLB homer in his first at-bat for the A’s. His next step will be decided during the next week, and could result in a trade, waiver claim, free agency, or a trip back to the A’s minors, among other possibilities.
- Schwindel: 3-for-20 (.150), HR, double, 3 RBI, 0 BB, 5 Ks
The 35-year-old Moreland hasn’t hit as much as hoped this year, but he does have a pair of walk-off singles on his 2021 resume.
- Moreland: .238/.286/.388, 88 wRC+, 6 HR, 6.3% BB, 25.1% Ks
Here’s the updated roster, with the injury report below.
Chris Bassitt (R)
60-IL: Mike Fiers (R)
Lou Trivino (R)
60-IL: Trevor Rosenthal (R)
Sean Murphy (R)
1B: Matt Olson (L)
Ramon Laureano (R)
IL: Mark Canha (R)
- RHP Trevor Rosenthal, OUT FOR YEAR, entire body (thoracic outlet, hip labrum)
- RHP Mike Fiers, 60-day IL, elbow (no structural damage; shut down for July)
- UT Chad Pinder, 10-day IL, hamstring (likely out thru mid-Aug at least)
- OF Mark Canha, 10-day IL, hip (no structural damage; return this weekend?)
DH Mitch Moreland, BACK IN ACTION, undisclosed (activated 7/16)
Mark Canha (hip) is going through a pregame workout today and if all goes well could be activated this weekend, Bob Melvin said. #Athletics
— Matt Kawahara (@matthewkawahara) July 16, 2021