The Giants have some choices to make.
Hello and happy Friday.
Today is the deadline for the San Francisco Giants to protect players from the Rule 5 draft. To me, the three most interesting names — interesting meaning players the Giants should be invested in, and might actually be of interest for another team to draft — are Alexander Canario, Tyler Cyr, and Camilo Doval.
Canario is extra interesting, given the injury and subsequent surgery he just had.
According to the Giants website, they only have 39 players on the 40-man roster, so they can protect one player without getting rid of anyone. If they decide to protect multiple players, Chris Shaw would seem to be the most likely roster casualty.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Giants fall short in Game 3, down 2-1 (Oct. 24, 2014 — Grant Brisbee)
- Melissa Lockard ranks the Giants top 30 prospects (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Maria Guardado on the Giants envisioning a significant role for Jason Vosler (MLB)
- Alex Pavlovic on how Gabe Kapler isn’t over the way the season ended (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Maria Guardado on the Giants potentially rolling the dice with starters (MLB)
- Mark W. Sanchez on the Giants who might be protected in the Rule 5 draft (KNBR)
- Alex Pavlovic with comments from Gabe Kapler and Farhan Zaidi on Drew Smyly’s departure (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Jessica Kleinschmidt on former Giant Joe Panik’s professionalism (NBC Sports Bay Area)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 132 days until Opening Day.
Have a beautiful Friday, one and all.