Longoria will play at third base today.
Hello and happy Saturday.
Evan Longoria has been absolutely destroying the baseball this spring, hitting .391/.417/1.000, and doing things like this:
But we’ve yet to see him play in the field yet, as he’s been dealing with plantar fasciitis. That’s scheduled to change today, as Longoria will make his spring fielding debut.
Evan Longoria will make his Cactus League debut at third base tomorrow.
— Maria I. Guardado (@mi_guardado) March 26, 2021
It’s still unclear what Longoria’s role will be this year. He could end up being platooned at third base, or we might see him there on a nearly everyday basis.
In other Giants news, two more players were re-assigned to the Minors: right-handed pitchers Yunior Marte and James Sherfy.
The #SFGiants have assigned 2 players to minor league camp, reducing their spring roster from 36 to 34.
Non-Roster Invitees Reassigned:
RHP Yunior Marte
RHP Jimmie Sherfy
— SFGiants (@SFGiants) March 26, 2021
The Giants now have 34 players left at Major League camp (even if that’s where all the players technically are), which means they need to trim eight more players before Opening Day. They only have 14 position players, and intend to carry 13 on the Opening Day roster, so, if Brandon Belt opens up the season on the Injured List, all of the remaining cuts will be pitchers.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
The greatest moments of Matt Duffy’s career with the Giants (Aug. 3, 2016 — Grant Brisbee)
- Roger Munter on the return of the Alternate Site (There R Giants)
- Susan Slusser on how the Giants intend to be more aggressive on the basepath this year (SF Chronicle)
- Maria Guardado looks back at camp as it nears an end (MLB)
- Andrew Baggarly looks at the most likely Opening Day roster (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on Joey Bart’s second straight strong spring (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Jacob Rudner on Nick Tropeano’s push for the Opening Day roster (Mercury News)
- Jay Jaffe on every team’s right field rankings (Fangraphs)
How many days until Opening Day?
There are 5 days until Opening Day. Holy smokes.
Have a great Saturday and weekend, friends.