The Giants swapped Minor Leaguers with the Mets.
Hello and happy Saturday.
On Friday, the San Francisco Giants made a minor trade. Minor in the sense that it was small, but also in the sense that it involved only Minor League players.
The Giants sent left-handed pitcher Anthony Banda to the New York Mets in exchange for infielder Will Toffey.
The Mets have acquired LHP Anthony Banda from the Giants in exchange for minor league INF Will Toffey.
— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) July 2, 2021
Banda, a 27 year old with four years of MLB experience (none with the Giants) was acquired in 2020, as the Giants only trade deadline deal. The Giants acquired him from the Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for cash considerations, but he spent the year at the Alternate Training Site. He’s struggled this year with the AAA Sacramento River Cats, where he’s posted a 6.86 ERA and a 5.65 FIP, with 42 strikeouts to 18 walks in 39.1 innings. But the Mets needed some pitching depth, and so they get some.
Toffey is a 26 year old former fourth-round pick who has yet to progress past the AA level. He’s struggled in AA this year, hitting .178/.317/.386, but Fangraphs ranked him as New York’s No. 22 prospect entering the season, with 50/50 grades in raw power and speed, and a 50/55 grade in fielding.
Welcome to the org, Toffey.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Notes on Tim Lincecum’s successful return with the Angels (June 20, 2016 — Grant Brisbee)
- Grant Brisbee on how Buster Posey might be transitioning to a guaranteed Hall of Famer (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Susan Slusser on Bay Area ties that will be playing baseball in the Olympics (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on why the recent skid for the Giants is no reason to panic (Mercury News)
- Alex Pavlovic on how the Giants keep getting great contributions from newcomers (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- Mark W. Sanchez on Buster Posey’s reaction to being named an All-Star for the seventh time (KNBR)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Arizona Diamondbacks tonight at 7:10 p.m. PT.
Have a wonderful Saturday and a great weekend.