The Giants are honoring the 75th anniversary of the West Coast Negro Baseball Association team.
Hello and happy Saturday.
Today is Juneteenth, and the San Francisco Giants are honoring the day by wearing San Francisco Sea Lions jerseys today when they face the Philadelphia Phillies at Oracle Park. It’s the 75th anniversary of the Sea Lions, who played in the West Coast Negro Baseball Association.
The Giants will also have a pregame ceremony that features the family of former Sea Lions player Toni Stone, the first known Woman to play professional baseball. That follows an announcement earlier this year that the Giants would name a street after Stone when their Mission Rock project is complete.
Old, random MCC article for you to read
Buster Posey contract analysis: How did other catchers age? (March 29, 2013 — Grant Brisbee)
- Grant Brisbee on how the Giants are still looking for the bullpen version of Kevin Gausman or Mike Yastrzemski (The Athletic, subscription required)
- Alex Pavlovic on pitching coach Andrew Bailey and his daughter’s inspirational fight (NBC Sports Bay Area)
- John Shea on if the Giants will break the franchise record for home runs in a season (SF Chronicle)
- Kerry Crowley on how Sam Coonrod has nothing but good things to say about the Giants as he makes his return to San Francisco (Mercury News)
- Mark W. Sanchez on the difficult decisions facing the Giants as injured players near returns (KNBR)
- Dieter Kurtenbach on how the Giants are the best team in baseball, and it’s perfectly fine that those words don’t make sense (Mercury News)
What time do the Giants play today?
The Giants play the Phillies today at 1:05 p.m. PT.
Have a great Saturday everyone.