Replays take a long time. Should there be less of them?
If there’s one thing that Sacramento Kings fans know better than any other fanbase in the NBA, it’s that officials can decide the fate of a game, and while there haven’t been any extreme cases like in 2002 this postseason, the influence of the referees has been on full display, particularly when it’s come to official play review.
Officials have picked plays, without complete consistency, and dissected replays frame-by-frame with mixed results. While more than two-thirds of the NBA fans we polled in this week’s SB Nation Reacts still approve of the use of official replay reviews, they’re in favor of a time limit on play reviews.
The counterargument to a time limit is that it would give officials less time to make the right call, but if they’re operating under the same set of rules each game, that shouldn’t be an issue. The problem is that they’re not, and NBA fans would like to see that change even if it means a less-strict set of rules:
The thing that NBA fans had a harder time agreeing on is a cap on the number of replays that can be reviewed in the final two minutes of the game. According to our survey, 41% of fans would be okay with a limit while the other 59% wouldn’t be.
Given that there are already certain types of plays that can’t be reviewed in the final two minutes, I’d probably lean towards “no” too. If every play is going to count in the final two minutes of a close game, then every call should too.
To vote in the Reacts surveys and have your voice heard each week, sign up here.