Photo by Sean Gardner/Getty Images
Two of the top play-callers in the game were on display Sunday, but one avoided critical mistakes
Recapping a wild one in New Orleans. Kyle and Rich start by poking fun at the Seahawks. From there, the two talk about the defensive lapses by the Niners, and how much of the struggles on that side of the ball were a surprise. That’s followed by the outstanding day from the 49ers offense and how impressive Kyle Shanahan’s play-calling was on the day. Here’s how the rest of the podcast shaped up:
- Questionable calls
- Turning points of the game
- Has Tevin Coleman been phased out of the offense?
- Plays of the game
- Shanahan vs. Payton
- Jimmy Garoppolo’s big day
- Importance of the bye
With The Win…
· The Niners improved to 11-2 on the season, marking their best start through 13 games since 1997 (11-2).
· The Niners are now 49-26-1 all-time against the Saints.
· San Francisco wins their third game of the season against the NFC South, with their final game against the division coming next week vs. Atl. (12/15/19).
· The 49ers are now 6-1 on the road this season.
Rackin’ Up The Yards
· The 49ers offense finished the game with 516 total net yds. of offense (162 rushing & 354 passing). The 49ers have gained over 500 total net yds. in 2 games this season [(571 at Cin. (9/15/19)]. The last time the 49ers had at least 2 games in a season with at least 500 total net yds. of offense was the 1999 season [542 at Cin. (12/5/99) & 506 at Atl. (1/3/00)].
Five-Pack of TD Passes
· The 49ers offense finished the game with 5 passing TDs, the most by the team in a single game this season.
· San Francisco’s 5 passing TDs on the day were the most by the 49ers in a single game since 10/14/90 at Atl. (6 passing TDs).
Jimmy G In The Big Easy
· QB Jimmy Garoppolo completed 26 of 35 atts. for 349 yds. and 4 TDs with a passer rating of 131.7.
· Garoppolo connected on a 75-yd. TD pass to WR Emmanuel Sanders, marking the longest TD pass of his career.
· This marks Garoppolo’s 3rd 300-yd. game this season, and 5th in his career.
· Garoppolo’s 4 TD passes ties his career high [4 TD passes vs. Arz. (11/17/19) & at Arz. (10/31/19)].
· WR Emmanuel Sanders registered 7 recepts. for 159 yds. and 1 TD. He caught a 75-yd. TD pass from QB Jimmy Garoppolo, tying the longest TD recept. of his career. He also threw a 35-yd. TD pass to RB Raheem Mostert. It marked the 2nd passing TD of his career [(28-yd. TD pass at Arz. (10/18/18)].
· Sanders now has 21 career games with 100-or-more rec. yds., including 3 this season (2 with the 49ers).
· With the TD pass, Sanders became the first 49ers non-QB throw a TD pass since K David Akers threw a 14-yd. TD pass at StL (1/1/12) and the first WR since WR Jerry Rice threw a 41-yd. TD pass at Atl. (12/24/95).
· With both a rec. TD and passing TD, Sanders became the 5th player since 1970 to have 2-or-more career games with at least 1 rec. TD and 1 passing TD.
Players With At Least 1 Passing TD & 1 Rec. TD in Multiple Game,
RB Walter Payton
QB Danny White
George “The Animal” Kittle
· TE George Kittle registered 6 recepts. for 67 yds. and 1 TD. He now has 4 rec. TDs on the season and 11 in his career.
· On 4th-and-2, with 0:39 seconds left in the game, Kittle hauled in a short pass from Garoppolo and rumbled 39 yards down the sideline, helping to set up the game-winning FG.
Bourne On The Bayou
· WR Kendrick Bourne registered 3 recepts. for 18 yds. and 2 TDs. He now has a career-high 5 TD recepts. on the season and 9 in his career.
· This marks his first career game with 2-or-more rec. TDs.
Dual Threat Attack
· RB Raheem Mostert registered 10 carries for 69 yds. and 1 TD. He also caught 2 passes for 40 yds. and 1 TD.
· Mostert now has 5 rushing TDs in his career (4 this season) and 2 rec. TDs in his career (both this season).
· This marks Mostert’s first multi-TD game of his career, which includes his first game with both a rushing and rec. TD.
Force The Issue
· Buckner’s 4 FRs are a single-season career high. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, he became the first member of the 49ers to register 4-or-more FRs in a single season since CB Ronnie Lott registered 4 FRs in 1988.
· The 49ers defense has now registered at least 1 FR in 5-consecutive games, marking the longest streak of games with 1-or-more FR since Weeks 6-11 (Week 9 Bye) of 2013.
· S Marcell Harris also registered 1 FF, marking his 2nd FF of the season.