A win Saturday night wouldn’t have saved Las Vegas … but it would’ve been nice
Week 16 of the 2020 season will long be remembered for the Las Vegas Raiders knocking themselves out of playoff contention by allowing the Miami Dolphins to kick an unlikely game-winning field goal after taking the lead with just 19 seconds left.
However, even if the Raiders would have won 25-23 instead of losing to the Dolphins 26-25, their stay of execution in the AFC would have only lasted a few more hours.
The Raiders, who are 7-8 after losing five of the past six games, entered Week 16 needing five things to happen to advance to the playoffs: They needed to beat the Dolphins, win at the Denver Broncos next week, have the Dolphins lose at the Buffalo Bills in Week 17, and have the Baltimore Ravens lose in Week 16 and Week 17.
Maybe that eases the pain … but not much.
In other Raiders’ links:
- A blown chance: The Athletic looks at blown opportunity for a defining moment.
- Grades time: The San Jose Mercury News has its Week 16 Raiders’ grades.
- Big challenge for owner, coach: The San Jose Mercury News looks at what is facing Gruden and Las Vegas owner Mark Davis.
- Where is Ruggs? Henry Ruggs III is not being used nearly as much as several rookie receivers taken after he was at No. 12 overall.
- Mayock’s temporary role: Raiders’ general manager was forced into a coaching role Saturday night.