Plus Marleau vs. DoorDash, Jimmy Howard retires and more in today’s news and notes.
The San Jose Sharks have placed center Joel Kellman on waivers this morning.
The 26-year-old played in the Sharks’ opening day game win against the Arizona Coyotes, but was a healthy scratch in yesterday afternoon’s loss. He logged 12 minutes of ice time on the team’s fourth line, putting up on shot on goal, one penalty, one blocked shot and a 50 percent success rate in the faceoff circle.
Kellman earned a two-year contract in August and carries a $750,000 cap hit. If he clears and is reassigned to the minors, his salary drops from $700,000 to $300,000. He played 25 games with the San Jose Barracuda last season, putting up four goals and 12 assists.
News & Notes
- Marleau shares funny DoorDash experience at Sharks’ hotel [NBC Sports Bay Area]
- Sharks takeaways: Split series with Coyotes could be sign of what’s to come [The Mercury News]
- How training helped Marleau take aim at Gordie Howe’s record [NBC Sports Bay Area]
Blood in the Water
- AHL’s dire financial situation leaves players ‘begging’ for help [New York Post] (Editor’s Note: I hate linking out to the Post, and I don’t think this is particularly great coverage of it, however, other outlets haven’t picked up this story yet and I do think the issues raised are important.)
- Report: Jimmy Howard expected to retire after 14 NHL seasons [TheScore]
- NHL fines Jared McCann for elbowing [Pensburgh]
- ‘No regrets’: Adam McQuaid officially announces retirement from NHL [CBC]
- Lightning, other NHL teams, must be prepared for breaks in play [Tampa Bay Times]
- NHL Rumors: Oilers, Panthers, Maple Leafs, Jets, More [The Hockey Writers]
Scores & Recaps
- Boston Bruins 1, New Jersey Devils 2 (OT)
- San Jose Sharks 3, Arizona Coyotes 5
- New York Islanders 0, New York Rangers 5
- Montreal Canadiens 5, Edmonton Oilers 1
- Carolina Hurricanes 2, Detroit Red Wings 4
- Toronto Maple Leafs 3, Ottawa Senators 2
- Columbus Blue Jackets 2, Nashville Predators 5
- Minnesota Wild 4, Los Angeles Kings 3 (OT)
- Anaheim Ducks 1, Vegas Golden Knights, 2 (OT)
- Vancouver Canucks 0, Calgary Flames 3
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins, 9 a.m. PT/12 p.m. ET on NBC, SN
- Chicago Blackhawks at Florida Panthers, 4 PT/7 ET on NHLN, SN, TVAS, FS-F, NBCSCH