Plus Barracuda reassignments, Tahoe hockey and more in today’s news and notes.
The San Jose Sharks hit the road yesterday, heading to St. Louis to take on the Blues for a two-game series. Not among them was defender Erik Karlsson, who missed Monday’s 3-2 win over the Anaheim Ducks with a lower-body injury.
Unlike Radim Simek, the Sharks haven’t placed Karlsson on injured reserve, signaling that they were perhaps hopeful that he could return by this weekend. Instead, the same defense corps they sent out against the Ducks will have to face the Blues, who are currently second in the West Division with a 9-5-2 record.
Read more about it linked below.
News & Notes
- Sharks’ Erik Karlsson to miss at least next two games [The Mercury News]
- Sharks Have a Strong Core of Young Wingers for the Future [The Hockey Writers]
- Why the next Sharks-Golden Knights game could have more fireworks [The Mercury News]
- Why didn’t Sharks fight back after Radim Simek’s injury? ‘It’s just not in their DNA’ [The Athletic]
- Barracuda assign five to ECHL [San Jose Barracuda]
Blood in the Water
- Why the NHL’s Lake Tahoe series is a risk — and where the next fanless outdoor games could be played [ESPN+]
- The NHL meets Lake Tahoe: How the league will pull off outdoor games on picturesque golf course [USA Today]
- McDavid scores 500th NHL point with assist for Oilers, equals Crosby [NHL.com]
- Hockey Analytics: Divisional Drive-By [Yahoo! Sports]
- Willie O’Ree’s Legacy Grows As Hockey Pushes To Expand Its Roots [WGBH News]
- Penguins will launch Willie O’Ree Academy to benefit local Black hockey players [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette]
- Alex Galchenyuk: Can he live down his past in the biggest fishbowl hockey has? [Pension Plan Puppets]
Scores & Recaps
- Florida Panthers 4, Carolina Hurricanes 3 (OT)
- Ottawa Senators 1, Toronto Maple Leafs 2
- Chicago Blackhawks 2, Detroit Red Wings 0
- Winnipeg Jets 2, Edmonton Oilers 3
- Vancouver Canucks 5, Calgary Flames 1
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!
On the Schedule
- Ottawa Senators at Toronto Maple Leafs, 4 PT/7 ET on SNO, TSN5, RDS
- New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers, 4 PT/7 ET on TVAS, NBCSP, MSG
- New York Islanders at Pittsburgh Penguins, 4 PT/7 ET on NHLN, ATTSN-PT, MSG+
- Nashville Predators at Columbus Blue Jackets, 4 PT/7 ET on ESPN+, FS-O, FS-TN
- New Jersey Devils at Boston Bruins, 4 PT/7 ET on ESPN+, SN360, SNE, SNW, SNP, NESN, MSG+ 2
- Buffalo Sabres at Washington Capitals, 4 PT/7 ET on NBCSWA, MSG-B
- San Jose Sharks at St. Louis Blues, 5 PT/8 ET on FS-MW, NBCSCA
- Los Angeles Kings at Arizona Coyotes, 6 PT/9 ET on FS-A, FS-W
- Minnesota Wild at Anaheim Ducks, 7 PT/9 ET on SN, PRIME, FS-SD, FS-N, FS-WI