Call up outfielder Skye Bolt
One day before rosters expand for September, the Oakland A’s made an early call for a reinforcement.
The A’s announced Tuesday afternoon that they’ve placed DH Mitch Moreland on the 10-day injured list due to left wrist tendinitis. This is Moreland’s third trip to the IL this season, but his first for this particular injury.
To take his place on the active roster, outfielder Skye Bolt was recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas. Bolt didn’t hit much in two brief previous stints in Oakland this year, but since returning to the minors in mid-July he’s crushing the ball, with a .394 average and 1.162 OPS in 31 games.
Between the loss of Moreland, and the absence of Seth Brown, the A’s roster is even lighter than usual on lefty bats. As a switch-hitter, Bolt helps with that balance. Tony Kemp is the only other lefty hitter on the team who has played any outfield this year.
If at any point next month Oakland decides they want to bring up a beefy DH to replace Moreland, then they have Khris Davis waiting in Triple-A. In his first couple weeks since returning to the organization on a minor league contract, Davis has hit nine homers in 66 plate appearances for Vegas, with an .885 slugging percentage.
Here’s the updated roster, with the injury report below. However, active rosters will expand tomorrow by two spots, from 26 to 28, so another pair of players will come up Wednesday.
Sean Manaea (L)
IL: Chris Bassitt (R)
Lou Trivino (R)
60-IL: Trevor Rosenthal (R)
Sean Murphy (R)
1B: Matt Olson (L)
IL: Mitch Moreland (L)
Mark Canha (R)
IL: Stephen Piscotty (R)
- RHP Trevor Rosenthal, OUT FOR YEAR, entire body (thoracic outlet, hip labrum)
- OF Stephen Piscotty, OUT FOR YEAR, wrist (had surgery 8/27)
- RHP Mike Fiers, 60-day IL, elbow (no structural damage; resumed throwing)
- RHP Chris Bassitt, 10-day IL, face (had surgery 8/24, long shot to return)
- DH Mitch Moreland, 10-day IL, wrist (went on IL 8/31)
- OF Seth Brown, IL, COVID-19 (went on IL 8/27 after positive test)