GAME 1 PREGAME VIDEO
In the interests of time I’m not gonna write an intro. You kinda know the drill already. Below the videos are the notes and quotes. Pregame workout video (and scenery at Chase) will be on the channel before tipoff!
DISCLAIMER: These are all just notes for my main workflow of YouTube videos, tweeted by beatwriters. I used to transcribe every interview but it became too tedious and not worth the investment for the small amount of views we got on the soundbites on YouTube. The links to the tweets are not available because sometimes I don’t use the full tweet and just having a ton of tweets on this website imo isn’t aesthetically pleasing and gets away from the main goal: transferring information (not so much entertainment) asap.
• Steve Kerr said Andre Iguodala, Otto Porter Jr. and Gary Payton II will be available for Game 1: “They’re all available…It’s great to have all three guys back and we think all three can contribute for sure.” (Mark Medina, Monte Poole, Anthony Slater, Dalton Johnson, John Dickinson)
• Kerr, asked why he continues to be successful after coaching the same team for so long: “Mainly cause I let the other coaches do the coaching. Can’t get tired of my voice if I keep my mouth shut.” (Jared Weiss)
• Extra emphasis on 21-2 all-time G1 record: “I’m still upset about the 2 (losses)…main reason for that record is we’ve got great players.” (me via Tim Kawakami)
• “It does help to have been here before…know what’s coming…when you’re away from it try not to do anything to get too wrapped up…” (me)
• On Steph’s ego or lack of: “When I played with Timmy (Duncan) there was the same vibe…An authentic humility, humor and joy behind the scenes and frankly, a real arrogance on the floor.” (me via Janie McCauley, Sam Hustis of KNBR)
• On Gary Payton’s moment: “you can do all kinds of conditioning stuff (with an elbow)…I’ve watched him every practice doing defensive slides…slowly progress into left-handed layups…inspiring to watch him work.” (me via Shayna Rubin)
• Ime Udoka said Rob Williams will start. On his minutes: “What we’ve done is manage him well, keep him around the 20-minute mark. If need be, he’s on no minutes restriction.” Udoka says they are trying to keep him down closer to the 20 minute mark as they have been doing, but he has no limit and can play more if needed. (Suichi Terada, Jared Weiss)
• Udoka says the convo about experience in the NBA Finals is a bit overrated, in his opinion. He said he’s trying to “simplify and not overcomplicate it” for the guys. This is about basketball, and nothing more. (Marc D’Amico)
• Udoka says that Marcus Smart will be “playing through pain…Obviously him being off the (injury) list has showed his progress and he’s ready to go. (Mark Medina, NBC Sports Boston)
• On Gary Payton II: “Grind his way to a successful career…kinda my career path (being from Portland)…a guy you have to account for.” (me via Janie McCauley question)