Plus Senators’ injury woes continue, Troy Terry and the Ducks’ reign of terror, and more in today’s news and notes.
Last night, Edmonton Oilers superstar Connor McDavid made history and became the sixth-fastest player in the NHL’s entirety to reach 600 career points, reaching the milestone through just 421 games.
Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Peter Stastny, Mike Bossy and Jari Kurri are the only skaters to reach that total quicker than McDavid, which is impressive on his end, as they all played in an era that was much easier to produce in.
McDavid is just 24 years old, and there’s no doubt that this won’t be the last historic mark he achieves, as he is already one of the best players that the game has ever seen. He’s currently riding a 14-game point streak.
This season, McDavid has 27 points through 14 games played and is on pace for 158 points in 82 games, which would make more history as the most points in a single season in his NHL career, shattering his current all-time high of 116 points. We’ll wait and see if he can achieve that.
McDavid obviously impressed Oilers head coach Dave Tippett, who called the stat “pretty good.” Couldn’t have said it better myself, Dave.
Dave Tippett on Connor McDavid getting his 600th (and 601st) career points in just his 421st game: “That’s pretty good. I’m glad I get to watch a lot of them.”
— Daniel Nugent-Bowman (@DNBsports) November 15, 2021
News & Notes
- Sharks prospect Kellman leaves Barracuda game on stretcher [NBC Sports Bay Area]
- Sharks have faded away from their identity in recent losses [NBC Sports Bay Area]
- Karlsson describes COVID-19 battle as “tough,” had it bad [NBC Sports Bay Area]
- Sharks’ Doug Wilson reflects on career before Hall of Fame induction [The Press Democrat]
- 3 takeaways from Avalanche’s win over the Sharks [The Hockey Writers]
Blood in the Water
- Connor McDavid becomes sixth-fastest player in NHL history to 600 career points [The Athletic]
- Komarov leaves Islanders, signs with KHL team [NHL.com]
- Senators’ Pinto out for the “next little bit” [TSN]
- Hard-luck Senators lose Drake Batherson to COVID-19 protocol [Sportsnet]
- Capitals re-sign centre Nic Dowd to three-year, $3.9M deal [Sportsnet]
- Coyotes’ Dmitrij Jaskin: Expected to be out long term [CBS Sports]
- Ottawa Senators sign Zac Leslie [Pro Hockey Rumors]
- Zegras’ big game lifts Ducks to 7th consecutive victory with win over Canucks [CBC]
Scores & Recaps
- Calgary Flames 4, Ottawa Senators 0
- Edmonton Oilers 5, St. Louis Blues 4
- Pittsburgh Penguins 1, Washington Capitals 6
- New Jersey Devils 3, New York Rangers 4 (SO)
- Montreal Canadiens 2, Boston Bruins 5
- Vancouver Canucks 1, Anaheim Ducks 5
Click on a team name to find a recap on their SB Nation site!